Proven Offshore Performance + Fast + Easy-to-Sail
The J/122 is designed to be a fun, fast, efficient racing and cruising sailboat that can be sailed by a couple, double-handed or with a full compliment of crew on-board. To give you a better idea of the process behind its thoughtful design and why 122 owners love it so much, read the "Design Notes" or comments about its inaugural sail on the Solent in "Seatrial".
Developed with and built by J/Europe in France, J/122 is distinguished by a well executed high quality interior, a non-overlapping sailplan configuration that helps simplify the deck layout and sail selection. A setback headstay with furler are recessed into the deck to maximize the jib luff length while retaining the convenience of jib furling from the cockpit. Plus, the simplicity of an asymmetric spinnaker flown from a retractable carbon bow sprit, that makes it easy to achieve near peak performance with minimal crew effort.
The J/122 cockpit is ergonomically optimized with a floor mounted traveler, below decks mainsheet system, offshore seatbacks, remote backstay adjuster and an available removable transom storage dock box that allows one to increase cockpit storage for cruising or convert back to a lighter race mode in a matter of minutes.
Two interior plans are available: a three cabin/forward head layout and the more traditional two cabin/two head cruising layout; both layouts finished in varnished light mahogany.
Several option packages, tailored to specific cruising and racing needs are available. Several key features of the US Model include:
- Standard Hall Spars carbon fiber mast with swept spreaders, rod rigging and below deck jib furling system.
- Standard Sparcraft Grand-Prix aluminum boom with internal mainsheet system
- Standard Carbon fiber bow sprit and Asymmetric spinnaker system for short-handed performance and ease of handling.
- Low VCG 7.2’ (2.2m) keel for short-handed stability.
- Low maintenance deck configuration with molded foredeck toe rails, hi-traction non-skid and minimum use of wood for low maintenance. Included is a large protected cockpit with long seats and high backrests combined with a floor mounted mainsail traveler, below-deck mainsheet system, and a large diameter leather covered wheel mounted to a steering pedestal with integrally molded foot rests for a very comfortable helm ergonomic.
- Choice of three cabin/single head or two cabin/two head interior layout with full headroom for live-aboard cruising, complete galley, proper navigation station, opening ports for ventilation and plenty of storage.
- Removable dock box option at transom for easy race/cruise conversion.